What Is 5S:
5S is a basic, fundamental, systematic approach for productivity, quality and safety improvement in all types of business. It can also be applied to knowledge-economy work, with information, software, or media in the place of physical product
5S was developed in Japan and was identified as one of the techniques that enabled “Just in Time” manufacturing
The principles underlying a 5S program are simple, obvious common sense.
5 S is the name of a workplace organization method that uses a list of five Japanese words:
- Sort: Remove all items from the workplace that are not needed for current production.
- Set in order: Arrange needed items so that they are easy to find and put away. Items used often are placed closer to the employee.
- Shine: Make sure everything is clean, functioning and ready to go.
- Standardize: This is the method you use to maintain the first three S’s.
- Sustain: Make a habit of properly maintaining correct procedures.
- 5S improves profitability, efficiency, service and safety.
- All types of business benefit from having a 5S. Manufacturing, industrial, retail store, power plants, hospitals, television stations
- Benefits to be derived from implementing 5S include:
- Improved safety
- Higher equipment availability
- Lower defect rates
- Reduced costs
- Increased production agility and flexibility
- Improved employee morale
- Better asset utilization
- Enhanced enterprise image to customers, suppliers, employees, and management